The Self-Driving vision is to automate and simplify operations management by delivering per the “Three Tenets” of Self-Driving Operations.
- Intent-Driven Continuous Performance Optimization
- Efficient Capacity Management
- Intelligent Remediation
What’s New in vRealize Operations 7.0? As you will recall, VMWare introduced self-driving operations in March this year, with the release of vRealize Operations 6.7. Self-driving summarizes the strategy and vision to provide continuous and automated closed loop performance and capacity optimization at minimal cost that is based on business and operational intent. Think about it, as a customer all you need to do is define operational and business intent, and let the platform take care of the rest to assure performance, densify clusters or enforce software license separation. Once intent is defined, the platform continuously verifies workload performance against defined intent, applying predictive analytics to project future requirements, and automatically takes actions to balance workloads and right-size VMs to optimize performance and capacity.
The upcoming vRealize Operations 7.0 will augment the capabilities introduced in the last release, particularly focusing on:
- Business intent-driven continuous performance optimization with new automated workload balancing capabilities, enhanced integration with vRealize Automation for both initial placement and on-going workload balancing, new host-based placement feature, and workload right-sizing workflows
- Efficient capacity management by enhancing the real-time, predictive capacity & cost analytics engine and adding multiple what-if planning scenarios
- Multi-cloud support with migration planning across VMware Cloud on AWS and native AWS, as well as updated management packs for AWS and Kubernetes
- Quick time to value with updates to the UI, simplified custom dashboard creation and sharing, enhanced SDDC integrations and built-in vSphere config & compliance
Closed Loop Performance OptimizationWith the upcoming vRealize Operations 7.0 release, VMware will enhance the integration between vRealize Operations and vRealize Automation to deliver closed loop performance optimization. Deep integration between vRealize Operations 7.0 and vRealize Automation 7.5 will enable full Cloud Management Platform (CMP) integration for initial and ongoing placement of workloads across clusters based on operational and business intent (e.g., utilization, compliance, license cost)
vRealize Automation can already take advantage of the analytics and intent from vRealize Operations for best initial placement of workloads, provisioning new deployments based on available capacity and usage trends. Now let’s say some time passes and either vRealize Operations finds an opportunity to optimize performance or a datacenter goes red, indicating resource imbalance. vRealize Operations will honor the reservation policies for placement and balancing and only migrate virtual machines between clusters which are part of the same reservation.
Source : VMWare Blog